Where I collect and share all the interesting
random things I’ve read all week:
– The Slave Who Circumnavigated The World via The Awl
– Brazilian author Clarah Averbuck on why she wrote Cat Life: “”Unfortunately, Brazil is still a very sexist country. Girls are still seen like objects. The most important thing a woman can do is just be pretty, and it’s a shame,” she says.” via NPR
– See Also: “I’m like, ‘I just made history and people are focused on my hair?’” Gabby Douglas rocks.
– Love: A Booklover’s Map of Literary Geography circa 1933 via BrainPickings
– Oddballs: People Without Facebook Accounts Are ‘Suspicious.’ on Forbes
– Stress-Free: Recipe for 1x/week Cleansing/Detox Bath Soak via Whole Living
– 7 Foods a Nutritionist Would Never Eat via Shape
– THE SEARCH FOR THE NEXT SRIRACHA – How To Make Sofrito, The DIY Condiment brought to you by The Awl
– Holy bat babies – Cuteness!
– Why dating artists is a terrible idea: I INSPIRED A “BAD” VERSION OF MYSELF ON AARON SORKIN’S “THE NEWSROOM” via xoJane.
– And now you know: How Advertisers Convinced Americans They Smelled Bad: A schoolgirl and a former traveling Bible salesman helped turn deodorants and antiperspirants from niche toiletries into an $18 billion industry via Smithsonian
– Colson Whitehead’s novel Zone One is a post-apocalyptic tale of a Manhattan crippled by a plague and overrun with zombies. He explains that he created the novel, in part, to pay homage to the grimy 1970s New York of his childhood. at NPR
– Also How to Write By COLSON WHITEHEAD – awesomeness via NYTimes.
– The Daily Chicana on Remembering My Brown-Skinned Dolls via Racialicious
– Chinese/Jamaican Poet StacyAnn Chin talks about being a single mother, in-vitro fertilization,and how her decision to have a child was met by the Black and LGBT community. Read more at Mater Mea.
– Read MOLLY RINGWALD’s story about Infidelity here
– This October, Designers & Books are hosting the first-ever book fair in New York City to focus on architecture and design book publishing. Go here.
– Style, yes please: 20 fashion-focused Pinterest accounts via Mashable.
– Nicely done: A gender free toy store -Harrods Department Store via The Mary Sue
– The PlayTales App Teaches Your Kids To Love Books With Interactive Kids Stories via MakeUseof
– I cannot wait to go to the Netherlands this fall: AMSTERDAM CITY GUIDE: WHY I LOVE AMSTERDAM, THE GREATEST LITTLE CITY IN WORLD via MeltingButter.