I came across this great list of book for boys while perusing the National Book Foundation website.
The list comes to us from my fellow Nuyorican poet, Willie Perdomo and is too good to not share.
Willie Perdomo is the author Where a Nickel Costs a Dime and Smoking Lovely, which received a PEN America Beyond Margins Award. He has also been published in The New York Times Magazine, Bomb, CENTRO Journal and African Voices. His children’s book, Visiting Langston, received a Coretta Scott King Honor. He has been a Pushcart Prize nominee, a Woolrich Fellow in Creative Writing at Columbia University and is a 2009 fellow in Poetry from the New York Foundation for the Arts. He is co-founder/publisher of Cypher Books. willieperdomo.com
- Miracle’s Boys by Jacqueline Woodson
- Begging for Change by Sharon G. Flake
- Felita by Nicholasa Mohr and Ray Cruz
- Becoming Billie Holiday by Carole Weatherford and Floyd Cooper
- The Surrender Tree: Poems of Cuba’s Struggle for Freedom by Margarita Engle
- Confessions of a Blabbermouth (Minx) by Mike Carey, Louise Carey, and Aaron Alexovich
- Tasting the Sky: A Palestinian Childhood by Ibtisam Barakat
- The Whole Sky Full of Stars by Rene Saldana Jr.
- The Plain Janes (Minx) by Cecil Castellucci and Jim Rugg
- Spellbound by Janet McDonald
What other books for boys would you also recommend?