Hometown: Port-au-Prince, Haiti
Current Location: Miami, FL
1. What four adjectives would your first best friend use to describe you?
Funny, neurotic, sensitive and, I hope, kind
2. What dish do you make well?
Rice and beans
3. What was your favorite song when you were in high school?
“It’s Raining Men” by The Weather Girls
4. What is the quickest, best form of charity?
5. Do you believe in magic?
6. What’s your drink?
7. What’s the oldest piece of clothing you own?
My wedding dress, which is 7 years old now
8. Do you handle compliments well?
9. What habit would you like to break?
Eating too much sweets.
10. Mac or PC?
Yeah, MAC. I’ve had a Mac since that first little box, the very first one.
11. Who would you destroy?
If I told you, they might try.
12. What holiday do you enjoy?
13. What is your favorite of the first 10 amendments to the Constitution?
14. What is the difference between genius and talent?
15. On a scale of 1-10, how lucky are you?
16. What is your definition of luxury?
Peace of mind
17. Do you make your bed every day?
No, but don’t tell my husband.
18. You own three novels by the same author. Who is it?
19. What has been the most extreme opposition to your work and way of thinking?
People who say stop writing such sad and negative stories. You make us look bad.
20. Vanilla bean, dark chocolate or Bing cherry?
All of the above, thus my problem with sweets.
More: Go inside the minds of the 2009 MacArthur fellows: Edwidge Danticat, Elyn R. Saks, Daniel Mikhail Sigman, Rackstraw Downes, Esther Duflo, Richard O. Prum and Lynsey Addario.