In honor of what happens to be my most favorite holiday, right up there with Xmas and my birthday I’m posting a round-up of my all time favorite horror flicks.
For those of you who don’t believe girls are into scary movies, wake up and smell the Bustelo! I love all things scary and spine tingling.
1. The Sentinel (1977) – My older sister and I, we never had curfew and so we would stay up late and watch the ABC late night movie often. This happened to be one we caught every so often and it terrified me as it will you.
2. The Exorcist (1973) – This movie scared me off ouija boards for years for fear of demonic possesion and even as a full grown adult sometimes the line “the power of Christ compels you” runs through my head for no reason.
3. Rosemary’s Baby (1968) – I was very little when we saw this and never understood why these horrible people wanted her baby and how her husband was part of the scheme. I found it less scary though than other scary movies.
4. Night of the Living Dead (1968) – Zombie movies scarred the living daylights out of me when I was little and my sister still made me sit through them with her, even though I made her sleep with me those nights.
5. The Ring (2002) – This movie was not as scary as it was haunting. Samarra has to be one of the most beautiful spirits ever except for when she comes out of the TV.
6. Carrie (1976) – “They’re gonna laugh at you.” I always wished I had a little ESP and secretly was please that Carrie lit all those jerks on fire.
7. The Amityville Horror (1979) – Just the music scares me, and I will never be able to live in a house that has those windows.
8. Poltergeist (1982) – The reason I would never move into a cookie cutter community.
9. Shining, The (1980) – RED RUM, how writers go crazy.
10. Espinazo del diablo, El (2001) aka “The Devil’s Backbone” – My mom always swore I would end up in the orfanato if I was a bad girl…This movie will send you there via a haunting Spanish tale.